nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:31:28 -0400

A 07:57 03.08.02 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>What you might have compatibility with is grafting sour or sweet european
cherries onto the
>american species Prunus Pennsylvanica, which bears cherries in clusters
off the stem same as the
>european cherries do. The growing and underground spreading habit of the
Prunus Pennsylvanica
>might not be too promising for this work, though, and I have not tried
grafting anything onto
>Prunus Pennsylvanica.

I agree - last year I grafted a Morello type sour cherry on P.
pennsylvanica - it had a good take and continued good growth this year. I
also made grafts of the same cherry on P. virginiana that didn't take at all.

I also agree that P. pennsylvanica might not be the ideal rootstock for a
cultivated cherry, but it can be an adequate temporary support to keep the
variety alive - and there are so many of them at my place, difficult not to
give it a try.

Claude, Quebec