nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: machelp@attglobal.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:46:32 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Charles, it is very important to hear from someone with direct
experience! If you can spare the effort, I would be interested to know a
little more detail of what you tried and discovered, even if it is
negative.

Round here we have, growing `wild', lots of Prunus serotina, Prunus nigra
(mostly planted I think, ours are rather poor but I am trying to clean them
up a bit) and what I suppose is Prunus virginiana rather than pennsylvanica
although I am not completely sure on the latter. The Prunus nigra spreads
by rootsprouts, hence its poor appearance, but I had not noticed this in
the others. Does anyone know of any effort in the past to cross these wild
cherries with other domestic Prunus?

Richard