nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting safety

  • From: Keith Benson <kgbenson@mindspring.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting safety
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:07:00 -0400

list@ginda.us wrote:

I'm with Del. I used to whittle a lot, and I don't entirely understand how people cut themselves while grafting.

LOL, one thing I have learned is that even something foolproof is not proof against a sufficiently motivated, or distracted, fool.
Discalaimer: I have never cut myself grafting, of course I am completely new, likely over cautious because of my newbie status and only have a few dozen grafts under my belt - many of which were omega grafts (talk about safe). Might I cut myself? Sure, it could happen - and I am trained to handle very sharp instuments in a very precise way. Accidents happen, without warning and in the face of what might appear to be adequate preparation - that is why we call them accidents.

Do people need kevlar gloves? Nah - that would liekly be a pain in the fanny. The single best way to avoid getting cut, aside from living in a giant cotton ball and eating nothing but tapioca with a wooden spoon, is to be taught proper technique by someone who is skilled and focus on he work at hand. Nothing more, nothing less.

As to the veterinary product mentioned before: Vetwrap, lovely stuff and can be used to hold a bandage on should you still manage to cut yourself! There is a human medicine knockoff, but it is far more expensive. See your local vet, they have it in a plethera of colors. Heck, they can also order you that parafilm you might want as well . . . . .

Keith