nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting safety

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting safety
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:24:34 +0000

Speaking of grafting wounds (on people). Has anyone
tried those Kevlar or leather gloves the wood carvers
use to protect the fingers?
...or do they just get in the way?

As someone who makes woodcarving knives and teaches hand carving - I am not eager for folk to rely on kevlar gloves, although many carvers use them. They are a bit clumsy and I much prefer people learn safety grips, stops, and attitudes that preclude cuts. I find it no different with doing w/t grafts. Grafting is living woodcarving.
For example, when pulling a w/t cut, angle the blade about 45 degrees to the stick (this greatly helps to level the cut - as well as slicing more efficiently). The edge can be 'aimed' at the same hands' thumb (since teh thumb is used under the graft for support)- the key is that the thumb is locked in position, it never closes to meet the knife. It is common to carve by closing the fingers toward the thumb. this is not a good practice for planing cuts (as in wt grafting), use the arm, not the fingers, to power the tool- sliding the arm along the body gives good control.
I understand the self adhesive wrap used by veternarians is superior to the products like 'wimp wrap' that are used to wrap, say, a thumb's end or other offending body part as a protector.
The resulting wrap can be removed in one piece and reused.
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3