nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberry Observation

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberry Observation
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:04:39 -0400

Here in central NC we are at the peak of blueberry harvest, which is about
a week late due to all the rain we have had. Also, the berries are larger
and less sweet than usual.
About 10 days ago I found one of my Rabbiteye bushes missing all of its
foliage on the west half the bush due to a large colony of hairy yellow
caterpillars that had brown stripes along the top and sides. After
relocating the caterpillars, I wondered what would happen to all the green
berries on that part of the bush. Now I know. They are ripening faster
and are the same size, but much sweeter, than the ripe berries from the
other half of the bush.
Is this a known phenomenon? Are they sweeter due to more sun exposure?
Thanks.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
Hardiness Zone 7A