nafex - [NAFEX] Rooting mulberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rooting mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:28:01 -0500

While grafting/budding is the industry standard, I suppose, you can, and I have, rooted mulberries from cuttings. As they are a member of the Moraceae, dormant-collected cuttings should root quite easily, similar to the way figs are propagated, though I've had best success rooting semi-hardwood cuttings, taken in late July-August, dipped in talc-based rooting hormone, stuck in a 50/50 mix of sand and peat, and placed in a shady spot, watered daily, with willow water. I usually cut them back to 2 or 3 leaves, and cut off about half of each leaf.
Success rates have been reasonable, considering the low level of care mine usually receive.