nafex - [NAFEX] Honey locust

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honey locust
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:20:28 -0500

We have had two seedlings come up in the edges of our garden which we
eventually concluded were thornless honey locusts. Thank God there are no
other honey locusts on our property or in our immediate vicinity, so I can
only conclude that somehow we accidentally brought home some seeds from
Hector's place. If so, the thornless trait must be pretty dominant. The
trees are not in our way so they will probably be left for a few more years
at least. If they start dropping pods though, out they come! If male
trees, I expect we will leave them and see what it's like gardening near
them.
Rob had commented:
> Like all members of Gleditsia, Honey Locust stores water in the soil
> through unique root structure. Thus the tree has some value in extremely
> dry, degraded, eroding soil by simply stopping soils and keeping them wet.

Anything that would store water for summer in this climate would be good,
though this year we don't need it. We just got back to Tennessee's rain and
mud after 10 beautiful sunny days in Olympia Washington. If that's not
screwy, I don't know what is! Olympia's had hardly any rain for 2 months
now, while in Tennessee the rain has been going on for 10 months. ( though
we've gotten some sunshine lately) The standard saying about Tennessee's
weather was always, "If you don't like the weather here, just stick around,
it'll change." Donna

  • RE: [NAFEX] Honey locust, Lucky.Pittman, 07/06/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [NAFEX] Honey locust, Kieran and Donna, 07/09/2003