nafex - [NAFEX] another Bumblebee

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] another Bumblebee
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:41:27 -0700

I'd never seen an earth-nesting bumblebee before the recent thread. Now I'm
moving to a small retreat center, and there's a small workshop/classroom
space built of cob (clay,sand,straw- looks like free-form adobe) On the
south side there's an area of about 3 sq.ft with a bunch of 9-10 mm holes,
each with a resident bumble bee; they also extend holes outward as tubes of
cemented sand. I'll be watching them next spring to see how early they
emerge and get to work, and maybe start a few holes for them... They might
be very handy, as my assignment is to develop the garden and
(edible)landscape.

-Rick

relocating to the south slopes of Mary's Peak, highest in the Oregon coast
range.