nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Bradford Pears

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Bradford Pears
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:41:11 -0400

I just lost a Seckel right after blooming and my Warren appears to be
recovering after a severe FB attack year before last. The Orient just keeps
plugging along and breaking limbs from heavy crops. Chojuro is bearing
again so far. There are enough plums to feed the curculios. My Kaki
(mis-labelled) "Santa Rosa" isn't bearing this year. Pretty bad, like Lucky
said, whenever they even label kakis as plums. Before Lucky mentioned that,
I busted my hump trying to find a persimmon by that name. This one came from
a friend who owns a nursery.
I have a Concord Grape (I think) which was labelled as a muscadine.
Figs are infamous for being mis-labelled. Sybil Mays and I discussed this
last year. I got Ray Givans' booklet for $10 as she suggested and learned
more about figs than from any other source. He said Celeste never has a
breba crop. This year I have a breba crop. So, there is another
mis-labelling I got from a nursery Lon warned me years ago.
An acquaintance brought me a Bradford pear fruit which I had never seen
before. I don't know what one would do with it. I left it on my bench for a
couple of years and it turned really hard.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: Bradford Pears, longdistshtr, 06/07/2003