nafex - [NAFEX] securing grafts with raffia

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] securing grafts with raffia
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:33:26 -0700

The link below demonstrates grafting of bonsai plants.
http://www.absbonsai.org/happenings/cary/cary.html

The grafts are held together with raffia, a grass-like material obtained
from the fronds of the raffia palm in Madagascar. I have used different
kinds of tape and rubber strips while grafting, but I have never heard of
using raffia before. I seems like it would be an excellent choice since it
is a natural material that the callus cells could penetrate, as well as
breaking down overtime after the graft has taken. Does anyone have
successes or failures to report using raffia?
-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7B/8A