nafex - Re: [NAFEX] multiple persimmon cultivars on one tree?

  • From: David Ulmer <davidu9999@covad.net>
  • To: "mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] multiple persimmon cultivars on one tree?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:20:56 -0700

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:40:25 -0500, philip sauber wrote:
>I bought what was supposedly a fuyu persimmon at Home Depot.  When
>it fruited, it was not the flat tomato shaped fuyu, so I first t-
>budded ichikeiki jiro on the unknown cultivar on the unknown
>rootstock (but probably virginianna) last year and then got other
>budwood.
>
>I budded several astringant varieties to my saijo tree from edible
>landscaping and several non-astringent varieties to my matsumoto
>wase tree with unknown rootstock (but probably virginianna)from
>Treesearch in Houston, TX.
>
>I've been told that most non-astringants taste the same and that
>most astringants taste the same except for honon red.  One guy told
>me he didn't like the taste of honan red and another said it was his
>favorite.  I'll see for myself.  Most of my friends with persimmon
>live 1-2 hours away so I'll probably taste them first on my own
>tree.  I am also grafting my neighbor's mature tasteless and unsweet
>"Japanese persimmon"(probably hachiya with acorn shaped fruit, last
>time it fruited about 5 bushels or more of fruit) to several non
>astringent varieties.  The neighbor(2nd owner)doesn't like
>persimmons anyway.

Philip,

Is the tasteless acorn shaped persimmon Tanenashi?  That is a very prolific variety that I consider the poorest that I have ever tasted. It is not a deep orange color like Hachiya.  Hachiya froze out in my northern Mississippi orchard (zone 7B).  Around these parts of northern California, everyone grows Hachiya and what they call Fuyu, but is really Jiro.  The real Fuyu is incompatible with D. lotus rootstock that is the only commercially available one here.

I missed on Honan Red last year and am going to graft it tomorrow at a grafting demonstration.

David Ulmer
Sebastopol, CA
Kakis leafed out but D. virginiana rootstock still dormant.

--
David Ulmer, davidu9999@covad.net on 04/18/2003