nafex - Re: [NAFEX] monkey puzzle

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] monkey puzzle
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:17:30 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] monkey puzzle
Plan on planting this for your grandchildren. In 40 years I have seen cones on ONE (1) tree in the NW, and it was the largest tree I've seen of the species.  I've been watching one in Salem, Oregon that was planted before 1985 and it's still not up to bearing size.  These things make pecans look like speedsters (and they take 10 to 12 years to start bearing, and up to 50 to get to full production).
   If you can do the scoring or inversion without getting yourself scored by the sharp scales, you'll be doing very good.