nafex - [NAFEX] pruning/training apples

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pruning/training apples
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:56:24 -0500

Ginda,
I hope you don't mind me commenting on your goals. They appear
interesting.

But I think if you're planting a tree for your kids to climb,
you may be talking about their kids actually being able to
climb it. I'd branch low to make it easy to climb. I luckily
have two trees (one crab, one stayman winesap [that's being
grafted over to other things] that can act as climbing trees.

What is the reach of the typical deer? 6 ft? 8 ft? I guess
I've also gone w/ smaller trees, as I saw my Dad's trees on
semi-dwarf rootstock take years to start producing (I think
the Northern Spy took over 12 years - the others were shorter
times). Plus I don't like to do a lot of climbing or balancing
on a ladder.

Support can be rather simple. I use the U channel treated
lumber (the stuff made to be the outer frame for the pre-made
lathe trellis). I am planning to extend their height this
year by attaching a cement filled 1/2" pvc pipe into
the "channel" of the stake. (I know this may not sound
particularly "simple", but I find these fairly easy to handle.

I went on a garden tour years ago where the orchard was full
size trees. The owner had the tree pruned to a vase, but the
outer parts of the branches weeped down. Don't know how he
achieved this.

Good luck!!!

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6