nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What is: Ya Pears?

  • From: "John Van Hazinga" <vanhaz@gsinet.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What is: Ya Pears?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:20:44 -0500

I grow Asian pears in south central NH and had a small crop on two of them
their second year (2001) Last year a snow and freeze while at full bloom
eliminated the crop. I know of a few in another orchard in my town and long
time NAFEX member, Doug Clayton, who lives 30 miles south of me has many
varieties and usually has success and gave me my scion wood. Fedco sells
the trees occasionally and John Bunker should know of trials in Maine. Bear
Creek who I got two grafted trees from in 1999 claimed in their catalog that
there are successful trees in a protected environment near Montreal.

coldest winter since I don't know when, but a deep blanket of powder snow
has protected anything low. JVH