nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early apple

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early apple
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:11:31 -0500

Mike,
Williams Early Red is the first to ripen here in Gouldsboro. Diligent
thinning will produce decent size, fully colored (red) fruit that is highly
flavored (almost vinous) and makes a tasty and beautiful applesauce. Its
soft, mealy texture is unpleasant to my palate, but it IS an early ripener,
and the sauce IS both pretty and good. If limited space were a factor I'd opt
for Williams Pride, which is only a week or two later here and is a far
superior apple in every regard, and also immune to scab.
Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5
(P.S. Will you be attending the scion exchange in March?)