nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Early apple

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Early apple
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:21:48 -0600

At 10:16 AM 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
1) I'm looking for early-season apples: either one (ripening somewhere from
July to Mid August) or perhaps two (one from July to early August, the other
from Mid to late August). Best would be apples that are very good for both
fresh eating and cooking (primarily apple sauce/butter and a few pies); next
best would be either very good eating and decent cooking, or very cooking
and decent eating. Recommendations, anyone?
My all-time favorite would have to be Yellow Transparent. Better, by far, in my opinion, than its offspring, Lodi.
Still waiting for my Red June to do something, and Mollie's Delicious succumbed to fireblight last year.

I had high hopes for "MonArk", here in KY, but my tree succumbed to a borer attack 2 years ago - though I did salvage a scion and re-graft it, but it'll probably be another year or two before it gets enough age/size on it to fruit. Don't know how, if at all, it would fare in Maine, though.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/Asst. Prof.
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY