nafex - [NAFEX] Canadians Unite!

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Canadians Unite!
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:25:02 -0400

I submitted this rather lengthy message to the list 4 days ago, but
it does not seem to have appeared at the other end, so I will try
again. If it did make it to the list and just didn't appear on my e-
mail, please forgive me (or maybe send me a message to tell me
that it did actually get posted)

Several - related - things: 1) Martin Waterman, who has been
listed as the Canadian source person for 7 or 8 years disappeared
a couple of years ago - reputedly to one of the Gulf Islands off the
coast of BC. He is not in Peticodiac, and hasn't been for several
years. Does anybody know his whereabouts? Is he still doing the
Canadian sources thing? 2) I am looking for a number of old
French varieties with a goal of establishing an orchard on the site of
the first French settlement in North America with varieties which
Simon de Rasilly might have brought with him in 1632. (We know
that deRasilly planted apples in the first year of settlement to
supply the colony with cyder, but have no record of the exact
varieties, so are going for French varieties which are known to pre-
date 1630) I have a list of varieties (obtained, interestingly enough
from a descendant of Simon). If you will bear with me, I append it:

(Dates are date of introduction or date of first mention in French
literature)
The principal ones we are looking for are:

Calville rouge d'hiver (1628)
Fenouillet gris (syn. Pomme d'Anis, Fenouillet roux) (1608)
Fenouillet Jaune (1608)
Patte de Loup (syn Pomme de Loup) (1598)
Rateau (before 1540)

(These were the most widely grown varieties at this time, and
hence the most likely for de Rasilly to have taken with him.)

Other French varieties extant prior to 1630:

Api Noir (1608)
Belle Fille (1600)
Calville Rose (1544)
Chataignier (1536)
Coeur de Boeuf (1533)
Courpendu gris (before 1500)
Double Rose (1628)
Drap d'Or (de Bretagne) (1622)
Pigeonnet Blanc (1598)
Pomme glac (1567)
Pomme-Poire (syn. Giradotte) (1586)
Rambour d'ete (syn. R. Blanc, Notre Dame) (1535)
Rambour d'Hiver (1628)
Reinette Blanche (1540)
Reinette Musquee (1608)
Rose de Benanger (Beranger?) (1628)
Royal Russe (1557)

(I am sorry, I am not sure how to get accents on the e's in the e-
mail client, but I am sure you can fill them in appropriately)

Do any Canadian members, East of the Rockies, have any of
these? (Movement of scion wood between BC and the rest of the
Canada is restricted. They have apple ermine moth; we have
coddling moth. Neither wants the other. It can however be done if
the need is great enough - requires inspection at both ends by
AgCan inspectors.)