nafex - [NAFEX] Re: DeRasilly

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: DeRasilly
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:40:58 -0400

Simon deRasilly landed at the mouth of the LaHave River, near the
modern town of Bridgewater, N.S in 1632 and established a colony
there which survived (I won't say flourished) until the English took it
over, burned it and marched the settlers off to somewhere up
around Digby (This is all from incomplete recollection, and I can get
accurate information if you really are interested.) We are proposing
to establish the orchard on the site of Fort Ste Marie de Grace,
deRasilly's fort.

Yes, I have been in touch with both Margie Luffman and a fellow at
Frelighsburg. I also have sources in France. And the States. The
problem with both the States and France is the difficulty of
importing wood from outside Canada. In the case of the States
one needs both a phytosanitary certificate and virus indexation
(this last I really balk at - none of the old verieties will ever have
been indexed, anywhere, by anybody.) Bringing in wood from
France would involve quarantine at $300/variety and 3-5 years - not
something I have either the resources for, nor the inclination.