nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Canadians Unite!

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Canadians Unite!
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:15:42 -0500

David,
Could you tell us where was this first settlement in N.America and where
this antique orchard will be established?

As of the varieties you are seeking, unfortunately I don't have any.
However here are a few suggestions:
Richard Fahey (Christian Homesteading Movement, Turner Road, Oxford, New
York 13830) has quite a few:
Calville rouge, Fenouillet gris, Chataigner, Rambour d'été (Summer Rambo),
Reinette musquée (better known in N.America as Margil, other syns are
Muskat Reinette and Small Ribston).
For canadian sources, you could try contacting Monique Audette, manager of
the Frelighsburg experimental farm - they have many old varieties.
(audettem@em.agr.ca)
or Margie Luffman, curator of the Canadian Genebank (luffmanm@em.agr.ca).

Quite a few of those varieties still exist in France, as I can see the
names and descriptions in some French references I have. Could you import
from France? Probably some pomologist working at INRA could help you - try
at www.inra.fr

Claude Jolicoeur, Quebec.