nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pecan on hickory --> dwarfing?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pecan on hickory --> dwarfing?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:11:46 -0600

At 08:35 AM 1/7/2003 -0600, Richard wrote:
Regarding pecan on Hickory. It is reported to work with most hickories and
las 20 years or so even with overgrowth. However there are some tetraploid
hickories and I do not know how they would work.

Well, then, pecan grafted onto a shagbark rootstock might work to keep size down. I don't know that shellbark would diminish tree size, as they tend to be quite vigorous growers, at least in my neck of the woods.
Fred Blankenship tells me that there are some hickory cultivars that really "like" pecan - Yoder, Mitch Russell, etc., while others seem to be 'happier' on a hickory rootstock. Wonder if some pecan cultivars would be recalcitrant on hickory?

Lucky