nafex - [NAFEX] paclobutrazol (pp 333)

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] paclobutrazol (pp 333)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 9:11:59 -0600

  Can anyone provide information, or sources of it, for the growth regulator paclobutrazol, aka, pp333, Bonzi, Clipper 50wp, Cultar?
   It is a growth retardant that acts by blocking the plant's natural gibberellen production, and I am interested in trying it on my Prunus as a method of inducing early dormancy, an often overlooked but very significant factor in winter hardiness here in the land of dramatic onset of winter (more comedic warmth than drama this year).
   After finding two fairly encouraging articles on the induction of early dormancy caused by late summer foliar spraying with pp 333, both in the ACTA-Hort publications from the late 70's and early 80's, I haven't found anything further on the subject. Lots of info on it's effecting precocious fruit production through shortening the juvenile period in new orchards (much of this on citrus), and on the dwarfing of vigorous potted ornamentals for the nursery trade, but nothing new on dormancy. I am beginning to think that it is another one of those extending-the-range-of-fruit-growing things that just don't get much attention (funding) because it doesn't pertain to the established commercial fruit interests.
   Safety is another thing I am concerned about but haven't seen addressed.

Dave Griffin
USDA zone 4A
Central MN, where it is forecast to be 50 F today and has yet to be below 0. A January thaw with nothing to melt.