nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beach plums

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beach plums
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:07:39 -0500

John,
The first year or two of flowering, the beach plums don't set fruit that
year. After a year or
two of flowering, then they begin to set fruit.
Yes, two of us here in new england have grown beach plum away from the coast.
It's fine to write an article in a magazine talking about a niche crop, but
if its to be grown
commercially then an identifiable, reliable outlet for the fruit needs to be
confirmed. The
fruit is almost always very tart and I doubt it would find favor with most
people as an out of
the hand fruit, and besides it is small compared with hand fruit. I like
tart [I think Gala and
Ginger Gold apples sweetness is just appalling] but the public likes sweet.
Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts/zone 5