nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Beech Nuts

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Beech Nuts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:42:35 -0400

In answering Mark Lee's question--I saw them in Belgium near Luxemborg.
They were at the entrance to the graveyard where Patton and his soilders
are buried. I also some in France in that corner where the Battle of the
Bulge took place.
Sorry but I was told about the seeds being gathered for oil and didn't
see any of the larger nuts of the European Beeches.
I have chewed Beech Nut chewing gum and Beech Nut Chewing Tobacco but
don't know that there is a relationship between them and the nut.
I had a big beech tree in my yard in New Jersey but at the time it was
infested with Gypsy Moths ( 1980-1990). It was messy and hard on bare
feet in the fall with seed shells and leaves. Nice shade tree tho'. It
was prone to grafting itself from one limb to another whereever they
touched.
I learned somewhere long ago that beechwood was used in making a
creosote (wood creosote) which contained phenols and was used in
medicine. Probably a good antiseptic.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8