nafex - [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@birdwatching.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:43:44 -0500

Here in SE Iowa (zone 5) I started two Brown Turkey fig trees and two Celeste fig trees in big pots last spring and wintered them in my unheated garage. This summer on the sunny side of the house they have grown nicely in their pots and have dozens of figs on them.

However, the fruits are still green and only about an inch long and less than that wide. They are hard as rocks. They don't seem to be changing. Now that I detect a note of fall in the air, I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to get ripe.

Any thoughts from those of you experienced in the ways of figs?

Diane Porter, Fairfield Iowa
dporter@birdwatching.com
http://www.birdwatching.com