nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Will my figs ripen?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:02:11 -0500

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

> I have some further question about fig culture in pots:
>
> I am successful in keeping figs alive through the winter in
> my unheated garage.
>
> But fruiting is low to none at all. I think my main problem is
> the pot size and lack of repotting. Other suggestions would
> be welcome.
>
> What size pots are others out there using?

1st year cuttings: standard one gallon pots
2nd year: 3 gallon buckets
3rd year: 5 gallon buckets
anything which is older & bearing fruit is ending up in 10 gallon nursery
containers which I
find in the trash. at this point I can't really lift anything larger. Im
hoping eventually to
move the best plants into 55 gallon plastic food service drums cut in half
when I can find a
place to store them which stays around 35-40 degrees.

> (Note: for me giving approx dimensions would be more helpful
> than a gallons estimate)
> How often do you repot?

After they get to the 5 gallon size I tend to not repot unless they are
really looking pot
bound.

> What time of year do you repot?

beginning of the season when I pull them out of dormancy.

> How much fertilization do you do?

Ive been using a combination of half organic compost & half perlite. I also
tend to mix in any
left over potting mix I have from things that have not made it in the
greenhouse. Ive also been
using a dilute solution of an organic fish emulsion called Drammatic which I
like a lot.

However, in my mind the essential factor in having fruit in containers that
are out in the sun
is watering. Ive noticed over the years if I miss a couple days in a row,
the fruit becomes
leathery, doesnt want to ripen or will even fall off. On one hand I like the
daily routine of
watering the figs (as well as the several hundred other container plants I
have) & on the other
hand I dream of automatic watering systems which would automate this part.

mIEKAL