nafex - [NAFEX] malus virus'/ ottawa 3

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] malus virus'/ ottawa 3
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:20:43 -0400

>I was impressed with what I saw in Canada of plantings on Ottawa 3
>rootstocks in zone 2. And am considering putting in a planting of them.
>In looking into this rootstock on the net I twice came into virus
>discussions that mention it as having concern. Another rootstock of concern
>is M.prunifiolia.....my principle rootstock on over 100 trees. Hmmm, if
>I use scion wood from my present young orchard I wonder if I am liable to
>infect a new proposed planting of ottawa 3's? How does one obtain virus
>free scion wood if one has virus susecptable rootstock?
>Anyone out there in Alaska or the lower 48 using ottawa 3?
>Thanks, Del

I have a few trees on Ottawa 3. The only issue I’ve had with Ottawa 3 is
that
it doesn’t seem to transplant easily. I did have trouble with collar rot, but
it seems that
I have that trouble on all the rootstocks I’ve tried (M26, Bud 9, Ottawa 3).
If you do decide use it, you may want to plant the rootstocks in their final
placement (as
opposed to a nursery bed), and then field graft there. I also can’t get it
any more,
because as far as I know, Bear Creek was the only nursery I knew that carried
it, and they
stopped carrying it before they went under. I’m also beginning to believe I
should have
planted everything on M9. (Or raised Prickly Pear, for different reasons).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
Pennsylvania – the desert state