nafex - RE: [NAFEX] orchard ground-cover options

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@ACD.NET>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] orchard ground-cover options
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:30:08 -0400

Tom:

I am in zone 5 (mid Michigan). Who can say what will happen with global
warming, but the ambient temperatures here are low enough to mitigate
sunscald possibilities.( I think) Also, early bloom vs frost damage is a
tough call. Personally, late spring frosts, like this year, cause me a lot
of grief. My main point is that I do not like hay as a mulch. Voles do!!!
Again, some folks like to use mulch in their gardens to ward off summer
weeds. I prefer to cultivate. Having grown-up in the West, I am familiar
with irrigation for crops. After your water turn you would always cultivate
so as to break-up the water channels that lead into the soil. This provides
an insulating layer to thwart the sun from prematurely removing the water
from the soil. In Michigan I do the same thing after a rain fall. I add my
organic matter to the soil in the Fall.

Ta

Bruce