nafex - [NAFEX] Japanese Persimmon

  • From: "Pete B" <pete@cmpsource.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Japanese Persimmon
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:18:33 -0500

Hi
I have a Japanese persimmon tree that used to bear nice fruit. For the last 3 years, it has dropped the fruit when the size of a 50 cent coin.
The tree is about 10 years old. The leaves curl inward and along the axis and stay that way. They look healthy even though curled. They are nice and green. The curling leaves and fruit drop started at the same time. I have a younger tree nearby (a Fuyu) that bears fine. I think the affected tree is a Tane- Nashi...I bought it as one but the fruit is roundish and not pointed...and astringent and very good when ripe. The area I am in is good for persimmons...zone 8b in LA. Other gardeners have many persimmons growing nearby and they do not have this problem.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to cure it ?  This fruit is really good !!!
Thanks
Pete

  • [NAFEX] Japanese Persimmon, Pete B, 08/11/2002