nafex - [NAFEX] malus virus'/ ottawa 3

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] malus virus'/ ottawa 3
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:37:44 +0000

I was impressed with what I saw in Canada of plantings on Ottawa 3 rootstocks in zone 2. And am considering putting in a planting of them.
In looking into this rootstock on the net I twice came into virus discussions that mention it as having concern. Another rootstock of concern is M.prunifiolia.....my principle rootstock on over 100 trees. Hmmm, if I use scion wood from my present young orchard I wonder if I am liable to infect a new proposed planting of ottawa 3's? How does one obtain virus free scion wood if one has virus susecptable rootstock?
Anyone out there in Alaska or the lower 48 using ottawa 3?
Thanks, Del
These 2 urls are of interest in malus virus'.
http://www.ewbrandt.com/bft/growing/2/story06.html
http://www.colostate.edu/programs/wcrc/annrpt/99/90CR.htm

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3