nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:05:58 -0400

Ginda wrote;
> I also wonder if you would pick up more ticks if you strolled without your
> wife.
No, I don't get ticks when I hike without my wife.
Ticks are different from flying pests in that everyone picks up the same
number of ticks in a walk through a a field because perched on the tips of
grass, sticks, or shrub leaves, they grab onto anything that comes by. The
difference is whether the tick likes the potential host and stays, or
decides that snag is a loser and drops off. I don't know why I am a
"loser" when it comes to ticks.

I like Doc Lisenby's comments. Like Doc, I don't get poison ivy or sumac
and most acrid saps don't bother me unless I get them on the back of the
knee or some other tender skin spot. But I get chiggers and nettle stings
like other folks and in northern Australia I collected a lot of dry-land
leeches.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC
Hardiness Zone 7A