nafex - [NAFEX] Blue Pearmain resistance?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blue Pearmain resistance?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:35:54 -0500

A woman was here today during lunch who reports a Blue Pearmain apple in her
back yard has
considerable resistance to insects.

Of course I had tasted Blue Pearmain before and while it was an interesting
bluish color, it
sure didn't please as an apple to eat out of hand.

Our visitor explained that Blue Pearmain is a dry apple, and she uses it for
processing, and
always adds water when making it into applesauce, and even adds water on top
of the crust when
making apple pie. She suggested its dryness might make it disinteresting to
bugs.

Can anyone confirm these reports? I have heard Priscilla and Roxbury Russet
mentioned as two
pretty resistant apples, but is Blue Pearmain also a resistant variety? Or
is it resistant but
just not usually grown due to uselessness as an eating apple?

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts zone 5