nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:52:23 -0400

Charlie,
Since you cannot pick your parents, I suggest that you get a large rooster.
Our rooster follows us and the dog around the yard all day snapping up
bugs, including every tick he can find. He will even take unembedded ticks
off the dog (a large black Lab). We have not had a tick problem in the 3
acre yard since we got the rooster 4 years ago.
I mentioned parents because when we hike through brush away from the house,
my wife collects a few ticks every time, in spite of trying a number of
repellants. While I will find an occasional tick on my outer clothing, I
have never found a tick on my skin. My wife forces the ticks to go to her
head (greatly reducing the area to be examined) by tucking her cuffs into
boot socks and wearing snug velcro straps around the hem of her sleeves,
whatever length they happen to be.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
nottke1@earthlink.net