nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Ticks

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Ticks
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:06:35 -0400

I've never been bothered much with ticks either but I sweat more than
most folks due to having malaria when I was seven years old. The high
fever is said to effect the body's thermostat (hypothalamus). When I
taught college, I had appointed students in each class to tell me when
it was cold to prevent gettting chilled. I can't tell when it is cold
unless it is very cold like Korea in 1950 where many of us got
frost-bite.
It could be a metabolism by-product thing in the perspiration so maybe
eating garlic would help. I've heard that mosquitoes like people who
eat bananas but I'm blessed by not being bit often by them either.
Neither do I get poison ivy, oak or sumac. Fig juice doesn't bother me
but tobacco and nettle gets me.
Chiggers aren't particular and I get them like everyone else. Flowers of
sulphur dusted in my socks, armpits and drawers cuts their invasions
way down. They aren't the problem they used to be, and someone told me
it is because Imported Fire Ants eat them.
I've heard bad things about Deet but people have told me it works for
all these insects. I used it in Viet Nam but only as a precaution. I had
enough trouble without being bitten by "skeeters" and other crawly
things. Leeches loved me there.
Wish I could be of more help but I really don't know why except for the
sweat thing.
I'll be willing to bet that it is something in the sweat. Red Herring
Donna should have some ideas about herbs, etc. Maybe citronella, it
would repel me by its' smell.

Doc Lisenby
SC Zone 7-5