nafex - [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What are you doing about ticks?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:25:00 -0500

What are you doing about ticks? I pick them up every week. Within a four
day period two weeks
ago, I found 3 deer ticks: tiny, so small they can be seen but not felt. I
had never even seen
deer ticks up until that time. And so far during 2002, 5 dog ticks. In
2001, I picked up 13
dog ticks, 4 of them embedded.

So is there any way to repel these ticks? I now just simply expect to pick
them up, no matter
how much I try to avoid the bush. Unless I give up horticulture, I can't
expect to reduce the
number of ticks that jump me. I wear tall rubber boots now when I go out
back, and I'm sure
they'll help some, but I don't think it will stop them. I change my clothes
and take them
straight to the washer after being outside, but I know that hasn't stopped
them..

Now for some specific questions:
1] how many of you are using DEET? Would DEET work if sprayed on socks and
gloves, that could
then be removed and washed? Is it necessary to spray DEET on skin for it to
work?
2] has anyone tried a natural plant like garlic? Is any reliably effective?
3] any other specific techniques or ideas?
Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts zone 5
Massachusetts features much more foliation and wooded acres than any time
since the early
1700's. Creatures such as woodchuck, coyote, rabbits, and skunk are many
times more common than
20 years ago, and deer are seen even in suburban areas.