nafex - [NAFEX] Grape Flea Beetle

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape Flea Beetle
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:06:03 -0400

Hi All,

Found my problem insect, grape flea beetle.  The reccomended spray is Sevin at a rate of 1 TBS per gallon.

You can see an image of the little darlings here;

http://lenewa.netsync.net/public/IMAGES/Diseasepics/021.jpg

In reading about them, it indicates that they are usually found in abandoned vineyards, where there is lots of debris for them to winter over in.

My problem is that the grape arbor is in my backyard, in a subdivision and there is no debris for anything to winter over in.  The only wintering area would be a row of closely planted pines, on the other side of an 8' high board fence.

Another reason for me not to like pines, it appears that they provide over wintering habitat for grape flea beetle.  Can anyone verify?

I am amazed at how much damage they can do so quickly.  It has been cool, damp and rainy here.  This is the first decent day in quite a while and there is plenty of damage.

Here is a good web site regarding grape spraying;

http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/hg/hg-24.htm

Someone pass the WPBR please.  (smile)

Later,
Tom