nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mpsquito Control

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mpsquito Control
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 11:04:20 -0500

At 11:37 AM 05/06/2002 -0400, Tom wrote:
Pet fish... Hmmmm... That would work in the 55 gallon barrels as they
are dark, and deep, but would they survive in a full sun wading pool?

I don't know...the wading pool might get too hot for them in full sun.

Our nights are too cool in May for pet store guppies. I also wonder if I
would have to aerate the tanks, and if the PH is too acid in rainwater.
I'd thought your temps might be a bit cool, yet. Don't really think aeration would be necessary, and doubt that the pH would be a significant problem.

So if the things could survive without heat, without aeration, and take
full sun they might work.
Good thought, river minnows are free.
Yeah, if you can toss a minnow trap into the local creek/river, without being in violation of fish & wildlife regs, you might come up with some mosquito predators at no cost.
I don't know if goldfish eat mosquito larvae or not - you can buy 'feeder' goldfish for almost nothing, and they may be more tolerant of temperature extremes than guppies.

For more info on Gambusis affinis, the native mosquito-eating fish, check out this webpage:

http://www.snowcrest.net/mosquito/fish.html

Later,
Tom

--