nafex - [NAFEX] Mpsquito Control

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mpsquito Control
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:08:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,

We are going on water rationing already. I have already put in a couple
of 55 gallon rain barrels, and I am using the kids old wading pool for
overflow capacity.

I can put a lid on the barrels, but is there something you can put in the
water to prevent mosquito breeding in something large like a wading pool?

Would nicotine work (steeped cigarette filters)? It is a pesticide.
The oxcilic acid in rhubarb leaves also pops to mind as a mild poison
(leaves steeped in pool). Though I am not sure if either of these are safe
for plants (would make you and I very sickly), or kill mosquito larvae.

Any ideas would be appreciated. West Nile virus has also crossed the
border into SW ontario, so who needs to breed mosquitos to carry it.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Southwest Ontario