nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum curculio

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum curculio
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 16:47:23 +0000 (US/Eastern)

Imidan (Phosmet) is effective on Plum Curculios (henceforth known as
PC). Use 5-to-10 g sodium bisulphite (swimming pool pH REDUCER) per
liter of water especially if you have hard water. Imidan mixed per
recommendation. Spray when the largest fruit is the size of the end
of your smallest finger. Standard advice is to also spray
trees/shrubbery surrounding your orchard as PC migrate in via
surrounding canopy. Two more sprays on 7-to-10 day intervals is
sufficient in Eaton Rapids, Michigan.

PC is a tough target as the adults do not feed in the orchard. They
just lay eggs. Spraying surrounding canopy increases the exposure to
Imidan *before* they start laying eggs. Isolated trees are difficult
to protect as a block of trees are mutually reinforcing and dilute
incoming PC. The mathematically inclined might think of it as a
point-sink diffusion equation.

Somebody wrote to the list that the decoy method of pesticide
application did not work very well for PC....but I think it is still
worth trying. I notice that I get far more damage on
largest/reddest fruit.

The decoy method involves collecting old tennis balls, dipping in
pesticide and hanging in trees. I found the easiest way to punch a
hole in them is to shoot them with a .22LR. The U Mass-Amherst
research recommended using something to make the decoy sweet (prior to
dipping in pesticide) since many insects have tastebuds in their feet.
I used red Jello.

The decoy method is not organic, but satisfies my need to not saturate
my orchard and surrounding area with pesticides.

Joe in Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Where tennis balls are shot and eaten.