nafex - [nafex] Re: Changing hosts (board input solicited)

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Changing hosts (board input solicited)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:56:12 -0000

I have been previously a voice favoring staying on YahooGroups.
Although I am not quite as fed-up with the service as are others,
I too am annoyed by many of the changes recently made. The change in
preferences, although annoying, was easily changed by me. The web
interface now requires many more clicks, as if you select the "next"
message, you often now get a full screen ad you must click through to
get to the message. And the "regular" screen ads have gotten so
large that with menubars, etc. only about 1/4 of the screen is now
message. And the number of "pop" up windows has grown too.

I have in the past used the "archives". It would be nice to move
them if possible. If not, I would request that we be moved to the
new service w/out being deleted from this group. That way it would
remain as a resource until the time Yahoo deletes the group.

I'm not a board member, but wanted to note that this previously "heck
no we won't go" person is now willing to consider movement to a new
group.

Features that would be good to have
1) Ability to read the messages "online" w/out having to bring up
your email.
2) Searchable archives.
3) Of course, option to get delivery in digest or individual emails
(I believe every listserv offers this)

I'm sure there's other features we would like or need, but I can't
think of them now.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Thomas Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Greg Miller wrote:
>
> > On 9 Apr 2002 at 23:33, mIEKAL aND wrote:
> >

> > It seems to me that there is sufficient displeasure with the
current
> > situation and
> > questions about future conditions to warrant a change to another
mode. I
> > am not
> > interested, and don't have the experience, to run a discussion
group off
> > of a server.
>
> Hi,
>
> Anyone contacted the ISP which hosts the NAFEX web page to find out
> exactly what would be involved with moving the group to their
server?

> To rule something out, without even a simple inquiry does not sound
> prudent. It could be just as easy as running a Yahoo Group and we
will
> never know if the question is not asked of the ISP.
>
> Many ISP's offer free egroups to their customers, so we may already
be
> paying for the privalege, but not using it. (majordomo, etc.)
>
> To my knowledge the ISP that hosts the NAFEX web page is Best
Internet
> Communications, Inc, and David Ulmer is the person responsible on
the
> NAFEX side (http://www.best.com ) of things.
>
> There is no harm in asking and sharing the findings with this group.
>
> For those concerned regarding the "archives" of the group and
if/how they
> would be moved/saved to a new server should also be explored in this
> discussion too.
>
> Later,
> Tom

Buy Stock for $4