nafex - [nafex] Re: Reducing advertisement exposure & Other thoughts

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Reducing advertisement exposure & Other thoughts
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:23:17 -0000

In thinking about this message and the suggestion "to go use email".

Well in some locations that's not always possible - your email may be
blocked or unusable where you're located, but the yahoogroups is
available everywhere.

> I'm starting to think that going to the web site and gettting upset
about ads is kind of
> like going to McDonalds and getting upset when they ask you if you
want fries with
> that or want to supersize that.
Well, maybe. But its more like we used to serve beef in your burger -
now its cat. I.e. the web interface used to be pleasant, with the
ads not overly intrusive, and they've gotten more & more so.

Some people say "I just change my email address"

Well I don't. My address is my address. If someone (say an
acquaintance) two years ago had my email and was able to reach me via
that address, they still can. I don't move my home to get away from
junk mail.

Question to Greg: Do you have a list of all the members backed up, if
the time comes that Yahoo does a Deep Six?

Let's get an official backup of the archive somehow. I think we
should get our head out of the sand.

It's time to move the list to a better place.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@c...> wrote:
> As someone who has always viewed the messages on the NAFEX list
with a
> standard email program, I thought I'd try reading the messages by
using the
> yahoogroups website.
>
> Wow! What a difference! (For the worse!) With ad-blocking
software turned off
> (Pop-up Stopper (FREE) by panicware.com) not only are there ads
displayed beside
> each message, but an ad is diplayed BETWEEN messages! With ad
blocking
> turned on, I still get the message next to the post. Even my
occasionally limited
> attention can't miss these babies, and they are indeed an
annoyance. (Although I
> do have a head start should I decide to spy on my friends, find old
classmates, or
> lose some weight.)
>
> I'm starting to think that going to the web site and gettting upset
about ads is kind of
> like going to McDonalds and getting upset when they ask you if you
want fries with
> that or want to supersize that. Perhaps email's simplicity is one
of its strengths in
> this arena, as reproduced below is the only ad I ever see over
standard email, and
> it's always at the bottom of the message and therefore very easy to
ignore.

> [Begin Ad]
> [End Ad]
>
> About a quarter of members on the list and set to "NO EMAIL" which
can mean
> vacation, or just the preference of reading the messages on the
website. For those
> subjected to ads on the website, I would recommend trying standard
email (and
> filtering of messages to a special folder if you like want later
viewing) for quick,
> almost pain-free viewing.
>
> Greg Miller

Buy Stock for $4