nafex - [nafex] Changing hosts (board input solicited)

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Changing hosts (board input solicited)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:25:42 -0800

On 9 Apr 2002 at 23:33, mIEKAL aND wrote:

> Im tired of all the ads & would hope that a new list would be free of
> ads. I'm pretty sure that Larry London would host the nafex list on
> www.ibiblio.org/london where he has many other lists related to
> permaculture & sustainability. It would be such a pleasure to not have
> to be bombarded. The system he uses uses a good archiving system which
> is quite searchable. I'm ccing Larry on this so hopefully he's
> interested in helping us out. mIEKAL

This all sounds good to me. It may come as a surprise to many but the
egroups-
onelist-yahoo migration hasn't been all fun and games for me either. The
chief
criteria to date has been 1) free and 2) automatic. Neither of these is set
in stone,
provided that the board approves paying any site-related fees, and
administration
chores (beyond the current requirement) are handled by someone properly
dedicated to the task.

The things that have bothered other people haven't been that much of an
annoyance
to me. (I personally ignore the ads, in the same way I couldn't name any ads
from
this morning's paper if you offered me a cash prize for each listing.) The
privacy
issue is slightly different, in that it is one more hassle and that the
default is
WANTING TO SHARE INFO, but I didn't have any trouble changing my preferences.

However, I recognize that others have had repeated problems in accessing
Yahoogroups to make these changes.

It seems to me that there is sufficient displeasure with the current
situation and
questions about future conditions to warrant a change to another mode. I am
not
interested, and don't have the experience, to run a discussion group off of a
server.
I can forward a list of email addresses to whomever is willing to undertake
such a
task, and it sounds like Larry London might be such a candidate.

Those who feel strongly about maintaining the current setup should register
their
sentiments. One way to go about things is to make a transfer, and delete
everyone
from the Yahoogroups mailing list except me, to keep the option open of
transferring
back should the switch prove to be unsatisfactory. Miekal's comments make
the
likelihood of that appear minimal.

Board input on this transfer would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Miller

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.