nafex - Re: [nafex] cold damage to trees

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cold damage to trees
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:33:03 -0500

At 03:13 AM 04/18/2001 -0400, Ed wrote:
> Last night, temps. fell to around 20 degrees. Apples and pears are
>full-bloom to 95% post bloom (esp. pear). Peaches, Japanese plum,
>nectarine, etc. are in shuck-split (early fruit development).
>This temperatures will not only take the fruit off, there will be some
>damage to tissue (leaves, minor cracking of bark, etc.) which promotes
>the rapid development of fireblight in apple and pear.

Yep. It was 32 on the front porch this morning. Took a quick walk through
the orchard while the coffee was brewing. Probably was even colder out
there. Everything was frozen - leaves, new shoots, you name it - I even
snapped off an 'asparagusicle' to munch on the way back to the house.
Bet I'll have some black, wilted foliage when I get home this evening, and
it may have doomed the majority of the fruit for this season.
Temps are supposed to be back up into the 80's again within a couple of days.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM