nafex - Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:53:27 -0800

Obviously the kind of sealant DOES make a difference. I have had better
results with Farwells latex seal than anything else I've used. It's yellow,
stretches with the graft as it grows, doesn't get brittle, and seems to
breathe. And it never lets insects under it. I've never had disease or
other problems with it and I used to have all kinds of them with the old
asphalt seal. I have grafts more than 5 years old that still have it on and
no problem ever developed.
----------
>From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees
>Date: Fri, Mar 23, 2001, 2:53 PM
>

>Derry: Well spoken. The black sealants only functional purpose is to make
>the
>grafter feel better!!!
>
>Ed
>
>dwalsh/wchase wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Not meaning to sound cocky, but some Professors just repeat the same
>> lecture from
>> year to year without reading current research.
>>
>> It is my understanding that research was done in Boston area (cold, dry)
>> and it
>> made no difference. And it cool wet areas it enourages fungal growth.
>>
>> I can't remember the name of the Pruning fellow. He had a Swedish or
>Finnish name
>> and used to write in Fine Gardening. Either he was involved in the
>> research or
>> he read it and referred to it. Some other members will know his name.
>>
>> I think success in grafted is very dependent on match the cambium layers,
>> tying
>> union tightly, state of development of rootstock (bud swell) and scion
>> (dormant)
>> at time of grafting, and aftercare.
>>
>> Derry
>>
>> Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
>> Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
>> phone/fax (604) 856-9316
>> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>> Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
>> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>> :
>> : I took a course this spring at the University of Guelph, lead by
>> : Professor Henry Kock. The University of Guelph specializes in
>> : horticultural and agricultural areas.
>> :
>> : Professor Kock reccomended that after wrapping the graft union with
>> : elastic strips, to paint the entire graft and scion (including the tip)
>> : with with that black pruning paint. Here in Canada it is made by Wilson.

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM