nafex - Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:15:56 -0500

There are no reputable tree surgeons that use That black tarry canned stuff
sold in stores for years. Ask them and they say thae tree does better
without it.
Gordon
In the woody cylinder, although the xylem tissues are dead, the parenchyma
cells of the rays are alive. These cells have the capacity to divide and
eventually reconstitute the cambium. Obviously if the wound is left to dry
out, these parenchyma cells will die, but if one moves promptly, there is a
very respectable chance of saving streaks, at least, of live tissue.
Generally
I'd give 50:50 odds on getting enough reconstitution to save the tree. Of
course, the longer the girdle, the deeper the damage, and the longer the
drying
period, the less likely is success.

Most True Value stores carry "Tree Kote", a heavy black wax product that is
relatively easy to use. A Saran-type plastic wrapping might serve; I've
never tried it. Time, though, is of the essence; do it yesterday!

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Gordon Nofs wrote:

> I see no reason where this will connect and feed the cambium in any way.
> would not even take a chance at it.
> Gordon

Minneapolis,
> MN
> > 55420
> >
> > Doreen Howard,
> > Wisconsin Zone 4b, where the snow has FINALLY melted and
> > the rhubarb is peeking out of the ground.
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM