nafex - Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:49:40 -0500

Hi,

I do something similar with hot wax to seal terminal ends of mid-section
cuttings
that I am rooting. I figure it keeps out disease, and seals moisture in.

I just keep a large candle burning on my potting bench and place the terminal
tip
of the cutting into the melted wax slug below the flame. Simple and sealed

Regards,
Tom

"victoria l. caron" wrote:

> I don't use compounds for any other reason than to coat open tipped scions.
> When I have an open end on scions I use latex caulking that I keep in a 35
> mm
> film cylinder. I just bring the open container down over the tip and it's
> sealed. ................vic
>
> "Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
>
> > If color doesn't matter, I like the yellow stuff because I can spot a
> > topworked limb late in the season much easier with it. That's the reason
> > for my personal preference in yellow.
> > -Lon
> > ----------
> > From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
> > To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: Re: [nafex] Girdled Apple Trees
> > Date: Fri, Mar 23, 2001, 8:19 PM
> >
> > Lon,
> >
> > I use the grey Farwells to seal the cut end of the scion when grafting,
> > but
> > the
> > previous email mentioned covering the whole graft union with black asphalt
> > sealant.
> >
> > Derry
> >
> > : Obviously the kind of sealant DOES make a difference. I have had better
> > : results with Farwells latex seal than anything else I've used. It's
> > yellow,
> > : stretches with the graft as it grows, doesn't get brittle, and seems to
> > : breathe.

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM