nafex - Re: [nafex] an good idea.....maybe

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] an good idea.....maybe
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:29:59 -0500

I looked at your pictures. I don't know enough to give much helpful
criticism, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun to try it. I was
surprised to see wintergreen, as I think of it as a cold-climate plant.
(I've only seen it growing wild in zone 4, but I suppose that doesn't
prove anything.) Be warned that it's not terribly prolific (at least in
zone 4) and the fruits don't taste all that good - actually, I prefer
chewing on the leaves.

I may be reading the scale wrong, but I know that stella cherry wants
full sun. I'm not sure it gets it tucked behind the pomegranate.
(which makes me jealous. it would be fun to grow pomegranate)

I'd recommend fig over quince. Everyone I know who's grown fig, or
lived near fig has raved about fresh fig, which is otherwise
unavailable. The only person I know who grew quince dug it out because
he decided it wasn't worth eating. I'm sure there are some quince fans
on this list, and the trees can be very pretty, but still. . .I'd give
the fig a try.

Blueberries seem to want very acid soil. At least, two of mine failed
(they might still be alive, but only barely) apparently due to
inadequately acid soil. Other than that, I find them very satisfying.
Few pests, great fruit, attractive plant. You are on the border between
wanting southern rabbiteye blueberries and northern highbush
blueberries. The southern ones get much bigger. You should probably
ask someone nearby which does better in your neighborhood.

Currants: If you want to make jelly (and you will) you will want more
than one currant. They are also very easy, and bear very young, for
quick gratification (for a fruit). I have grossly mistreated currants,
moved them around, let them dry, planted them in moderate shade, and
haven't lost one, yet. (They do a lot better with some sun, but they
seem to hang on even without it.) I haven't tried jostaberries, but
others on this list like them less than currants. If you want variety,
try a red and a black, or try an "ornamental" Crandall currant. There
are lots of "edible" plants which aren't worth eating - I was astonished
to grow this ornamental currant and discover it's fruit is terrific,
like a small potent grape.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6

lostman_amiga@yahoo.com wrote:

> I dont know if this is an idea that would be wrong for this forum, but
> I thought I would suggest it anyway....
>
> A little background first...
> I am working on a fairly ambitious project(for me)of re-landscaping my
> yard with edible plants. I have done a fair amount of research for
> being such a newbie at this, but there is nothing like getting
> differnet peoples opinions first hand about all this. This is what
> makes this place and other forums so crucial to me. I only wish I
> could show people my space and what I want to plant. I spent a great
> deal of time planning on paper my landscape design to get a clearer
> picture in my head of what would go well in the space. I also thought
> it would be a great way to show others what I want to do.
> Unfortunately, most people I know think I'm a bit odd for not planting
> lawn grass, flowers, and boxwoods. I didnt really have a group to go
> to till I found NAFEX. But I still would like a few people locally
> that I could actually show things too.
>
> So, to make a long story short, I thought maybe I can upload my
> yard plans to the forum file sections for feedback. Better yet, maybe
> a folder of landscape and orchard plans so everyone can share thier
> vision with others......? Would this be to difficult to manage?
> any problems this might cause?
>
> I know this might be overstepping my bounds as a new NAFEX online
> member, but would the members and the owner be interested in doing
> something like this? I would love to see what other people are
> planting.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982373350/