nafex - [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:41:19 -0000

>Hmm, I was told just the opposite. The guy seem to like Ken's Red.
>do you have any more detail on whay he said it was inferior? I was
>also told to plant them on a "T" trellis at leas 10' apart. I guess
>I could just keep them pruned though....?

I can't speak to kiwis, but for grapes if you try to keep them
confined to a space by (over)pruning, you'll lock yourself into a
vegetative cycle. I.e. the plant will respond to the pruning by
throwing very vigorous shoots (and reduced fruiting), which you then
have to hack off again, and the cycle repeats itself...

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., lostman_amiga@y... wrote:
> --- In nafex@y..., mauch1@a... wrote:
> > I may be repeating myself as the first time I posted this, I
> > got 'YahooGroups not available'
> >
> > If possible place a scale on the drawing as 1 inch on your
machine
> > may not be an inch on mine (would vary by screen size and display
> > settings)
>
> Good idea! I will add that
>

> > Kiwis- Are you leaving enough space? I've been recommended from
> > someone who raises hardy kiwis in zone 7 that trellised you need
25'
> > x 8' (from personal experience I know that 12' on a vertical
grape
> > arbor is not really enough). The same person also strongly
advised
> > against planting Ken's Red as he felt it was inferior to
Annasnaja.

> Hmm, I was told just the opposite. The guy seem to like Ken's Red.
> do you have any more detail on whay he said it was inferior? I was
> also told to plant them on a "T" trellis at leas 10' apart. I
guess I
> could just keep them pruned though....?
>

> > In my experience the Am. Persimmon and Mulberries will grow much
> > larger than 15 and 20 ft respectively (I don't know how much
pruning
> > can help this)
>

> Oops! your right, I first thought they were the same size as the
asian
> ones. I never changed them. I will have to work on the back some
more
> then. Now I have seen conflicting info on mulberries. I will have
> chech them out again. Maybe is a specific kind I was looking at.
>

> > Fejoia - are they reliably hardy in zone 7?
>
> There is guy who lives a bit north of me that has one. I thought I
> would give it try. He has had no problems with them. I wanted to
do a
> Loquat too, but I think I will be pushing my luck with that. On the
> other hand I go to the South Eastern Palm and Exotic fruit site and
> few local members have loquat trees in their yard. Go figure.
>

> > What software did you use to generate the drawings?
>
> I used Adolbe Illustrator. There may be an easier sotware to use,
> but I teach it at school, so it was a sinple project for me.
>

> > Have you planned for using all this fruit?
>
> :)
>
> Thats the big question. I have a reputation for my eyes being to
big
> for my belly! :)
> I will be doing some (alot) of presearving, but I will also giving
> some gift baskets and selling some to. Of course I will bring some
> the NAFEX and SFF shows too! :)
>
> To be serious, I really dont know. I do hope to make this
investment
> pay for itself, but I am really doing it because I like eating
fruit
> and it kinda fun.
>
> What do you all do with your treasure???
> >
> > It looks interesting.
> >

> Thanx for your suggestions!
>

> > Chris Mauchline
> > SE PA, zone 6
> >

> > --- In nafex@y..., lostman_amiga@y... wrote:
> > > I dont know if this is an idea that would be wrong for this
forum,
> > but
> > > I thought I would suggest it anyway....
> > >
> > > A little background first...
> > > I am working on a fairly ambitious project(for me)of
> re-landscaping
> > my
> > > yard with edible plants. I have done a fair amount of research
> for
> > > being such a newbie at this, but there is nothing like getting
> > > differnet peoples opinions first hand about all this. This is
> what
> > > makes this place and other forums so crucial to me. I only wish
> > > could show people my space and what I want to plant. I spent a
> > great
> > > deal of time planning on paper my landscape design to get a
> clearer
> > > picture in my head of what would go well in the space. I also
> > thought
> > > it would be a great way to show others what I want to do.
> > > Unfortunately, most people I know think I'm a bit odd for not
> > planting
> > > lawn grass, flowers, and boxwoods. I didnt really have a group
> > go
> > > to till I found NAFEX. But I still would like a few people
locally
> > > that I could actually show things too.
> > >
> > > So, to make a long story short, I thought maybe I can upload my
> > > yard plans to the forum file sections for feedback. Better
yet,
> > maybe
> > > a folder of landscape and orchard plans so everyone can share
> thier
> > > vision with others......? Would this be to difficult to manage?
> > > any problems this might cause?
> > >
> > > I know this might be overstepping my bounds as a new NAFEX
online
> > > member, but would the members and the owner be interested in
doing
> > > something like this? I would love to see what other people are
> > > planting.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM