nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Online AND Print

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Online AND Print
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:26:24 EST

In a message dated 12/06/00 8:41:21 AM, tolenio@sentex.net writes:

<< Email is a great tool but Pomona via email would be a very large read, and
don't think that many would avail themselves of it after seeing how large a
read
it is on-line. [snip]>>

Well, neither of these guesses is right. HortIdeas, which is a significant
publication, is 96K in its last download. Of course it comes as an email
attachment--perhaps i wasn't clear about that. They are using Envoy at the
moment, which is much more flexible in terms of reading that most word
processing documents. They are considering a switch to Adobe Acrobat because
Envoy may not be available in the future. (?) This is a universally
available program. I don't know ifyou can magnify the pages in
Acrobat--never tried--but even if not, good computers come with software to
magnify everything. Acrobat reader is free. I just got the full Acrobat
program, but haven't had time to load it up and play with it yet. I want it
to use in my onnline course to improve my capability of sharing images with
the class.

There are many of us who would PREFER an online version because it is
searchable. While HortIdeas, the online version costs less because it cost
less to deliver. However I would willingly pay more than the print version
because it is more valuable. I have a gazillion old POMONAS from decades
back, but I never have time to search through them when I want information.
With the online publications I receive, it is easy for me to find the info
when I need it. I don't have time to read and catalog everything, but I
download everything i may need in the future. Again, this is only useful if
the magazine is delivered to my email address. I couldn't give a fart and a
half for anything on a web page. I'm willing to pay for the convenience of
delivery. If I were ever to want a newspaper, I wouldn't go the printing
plant to get it--I'd have it delivered. The point of using these
technologies is convenience. If we put the material on the web, the most over
blown overestimated technoology since the hand held chicken plucker (sell you
one cheap!), then forget it. I'll continue to get the print version because
some months I have time to at least glance at it.

WE HAD THIS EXACT DISCUSSION LAST YEAR. People with short memories should
use the archives more.

Dan Hemenway
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976195589/