nafex - [nafex] Re: Online AND Print

  • From: prcenter@webtv.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Online AND Print
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:21:32 -0000

--- In nafex@egroups.com, Tom Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:
> PermacultureNo1@a... wrote:
>
> > I think it would be great to have a PAID subscription to POMONA delivered
> > by
> > email,
>
> Hi,
>
> Email is a great tool but Pomona via email would be a very large read, and I
> don't think that many would avail themselves of it after seeing how large a
> read
> it is on-line.

I subscribe to a number of "e-zines" and the usual solution is to e-mail what
amounts to an INDEX with brief summeries of large articles with individual
links to each article. You read the index... if you see something that
interests you can use the link and read the full article online. There are
also various formats you can download and read off-line. The technology is
relatively new but it is also possible to transfer the text to an "e-book"...
about the size of a normal book you can cozy up to the fireplace with. But
like you I would wish to see back issues of POMONA online primarily for
research not casual reading. I rarely have time to read an entire issue
anyway. Nor do I more than skim over articles on topics I have no interest in.

> It is one thing to sit in a comfortable chair, with a fire in the fireplace
> and
> leaf through the printed Pomona, and another to do it seated infront of a
> computer screen...
>
>... I can see Pomona uploaded to a searchable database for easier reference,
>and
> location of articles. Possibly the database could have the additional
> search
> capability to locate all articles in the various issues, so you could
> reconstruct
> an issue online by doing a search on a particular Pomona volume number or
> season
> year.

A searchable database is not really necessary... Just Put it online "as is".
A "site seach" (which can be had free of chrge through various services) will
automatically pull up the articles on whatever topic is entered. As with most
free services, (including this e-list for example) you may have to put up
with a banner add of some sort...

Tom Booth

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976137698/