nafex - Re: [nafex] Rabbits

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:44:25 -0800

I don't know about those particular varieties, but I do know that fruit
cracking does occur in young trees of a number of apple varieties. If you
want more about it, try Temperate Zone Pomology by M.N. Westwood. Available
from Timber Press.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>Date: Thu, Dec 28, 2000, 1:44 PM
>

>Lon, You mentioned that the cracking phenomenon occurs only when the trees
>are young in HGG. Is this the rule for other varieties also?? We have
>experienced cracking on young trees of Laxton's Fortune, Mertons Pioneer,
>Rosemary Russset, Sansa and Paulared here in Southeast Alaska. Do calcium
>sprays help for apple cracking like they do for cherries?? Jerry
>Appleseed.
>
>----------
>>From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
>>To: nafex@egroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 4:29 PM
>>

>> Here in Oregon where Hudson's Golden Gem originated, it does crack, but
>> only
>> when the trees are young. After a few years the cracking stops. And yes,
>> when it is very ripe, it is soft and mellow like a pear, with a pear-like
>> flavor.
>> -Lon Rombough
>> Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
>> http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom
>>
>> ----------
>>>From: jhecksel@voyager.net
>>>To: nafex@egroups.com
>>>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>>>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 8:11 PM

>>>No. It was Hudson's Golden Gem. I remembered a few other causualites.
>>>Holstein is gone due to water core. Most of the Jefferis has also been
>>>thinned out. There was nothing wrong with Jefferis, just that I could
>>>have more flavorful apples in another week. I find that I value "mild"
>>>less as I get older. Maybe the tired, old taste-buds need a little more
>>>kick to register....who knows.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/978043685/